The Mathena’s: Shot in the coolest basements I have ever set foot in

My dear friend Shannon asked me to schedule their yearly portrait session.  And seriously, I love to photograph Parker and Anabelle. They show up and we can take the most interesting photos just because these kids show up.

This time, Shannon wanted something different. Something to rival her bright sense of style…and she found it.  We spent a couple of hours exploring the basements of some really cool buildings Downtown Detroit.  I knew that I would be impressed with anything that Quicken Loans does (I am a past Quicken gal….and loved every minute of it), but I was in awe of the Federal Reserve building and the Chrysler House.

People work here.   Still in shock.

Back to the photos though. You can’t argue that Park and Anabelle aren’t model material. You just can’t. Thanks Shannon and Russ for letting me photograph your gorgeous people.   Here are just a few….

12 Comments

1. jeanine

So many great images! WOW! They are lucky to have these images to look back on!

2. sueann

I love the backgrounds you have been able to find to shoot on outdoors. So very cool and the colors are awesome! I have a cousin who just moved to Detroit I will send her your way!

• Michele Maloney

Thanks Sueann! I would definitely appreciate it!

3. Sugashoc Photography

Such gorgeous backgrounds you found in those cool basements! I need to go hunting for more interesting places to shoot!

4. Nicola

Love the colours you captured and the unique setting the Federal Reserve Building offered! I would never have thought to go to these locaitons in Detroit for photos – you are such a creative photographer. Shannon must be thrilled with these portraits.

5. Jennifer Rittenberry

I loved that you shot this session in unconventional locations to showcase Detroit and some of its lesser known backgrounds. Love all the vibrant colors!

6. Christine D

What a creative session! These two kids ARE gorgeous, and I love that you did something completely out of the norm for their portrait session. These photos are arty and mod and just awesome! I love that Detroit makes an appearance in them too!

7. Jenny

What an amazing location ever! I love the unique and divers photo options. Love this!

8. Nicole Miller

You are a great Detroit photographer!! Great colors and composition!!

9. Kathy

The colors are amazing! Hidden gems in Detorit 🙂 I know the Federal Reserve building is really amazing!

10. Corey

What a fun portrait session! Love the cool Detroit locations!

11. Cynthia

LOVE this session! her hair is amazing – I would love to shoot in Detroit!

Submit a Comment